Everyone knows that, with the diagnosis of a serious or chronic illness, life changes—both for the person diagnosed as well as for everyone who loves them. At Turning Point, we offer support and we teach skills for managing those changes in the most effective ways possible. How? By teaching the 10 facets of resilience.
Resilience is NOT about floating through life with rose-colored glasses or ignoring stressors. It IS about experiencing the stress that life brings and having skills in place to manage that stress. It’s also about adding to the peace and fullness of everyday life—yes, even in the midst of illness—both for the person diagnosed as well as for their supporters.
Resilience skills enable you to:
• Think more clearly
• Concentrate more easily
• Become more intuitive and better able to trust your gut
• Feel more committed to your goals and in control of your life
• Feel more in charge of your emotions
• Feel less critical of yourself and of others
• Find more meaning in your life experiences
• Become more optimistic and hopeful
• Be better able to manage unexpected setbacks that may come your way
Like playing the violin, learning a sport, or speaking in public, resilience is a skill that can be taught and greatly improved with practice. Sound like a lot of work? Well, the exciting news is that, even when we improve skills in only one of the facets of resilience, our overall ability to manage stress is increased.
If you would like to learn more and to improve your resilience skills, consider registering for one of our programs on resilience: "Resilience: Managing the Stress and Changes that Come with Illness".
We hope that you’ll be able to join us in taking YOUR next step in managing stress in a way that works well for you.
10 Facets of Resilience
• Ability to calm yourself
• Ability to care for yourself
• Ability to express emotions
• Ability to replenish yourself
• Ability to support yourself without judgment
• Sense of coherence
• Sense of hardiness
• Sense of hope
• Sense of optimism
• Social support
Turning Point helps people develop 4 important skills, which influence all 10 facets of resilience
• Feeling your true feelings
• Quieting your emotions and physical reactions
• Restructuring your thought patterns
• Filling yourself up through positive experiences